Sunday, November 1, 2009

The Attack of the H1N1

Our last day visiting St. Louis, Scott and Eric started feeling sick and by the time we all got home the next day, they were both feeling pretty bad. Poor little Eric had a fever of 103, a cough, and was completely out of it...no appetite and just didn't want to move. Scott had a cough, congestion, sore throat, and body aches.


Thankfully, Mom had already planned to be at our house the same day got home from St. Louis....and boy did we need her!! The kiddos and I had planned to travel back with her two days later to Kentucky for a visit. Little did Mom know, she was going to be taking care of 5 sick Smiths.


The next day, Isaac started with the cough, fever, and body aches AND Scott started to have a fever as well. By this time we were pretty sure the Swine Flu had invaded.


Since Isaac has been so healthy for several months, we decided to treat him, Eric, and Scott at home with Tylenol (if his fever was over 102), peppermint oil, thieve's oil, peppermint tea, water, and lots of rest.


By the 2nd day home, Lauren and I started to develop the same symptoms. It came on so hard and so fast. Since Lauren is so young (almost 9 months) and I have asthma and chronic bronchitis, I decided the two of us needed to visit the doctor. We did, and were both given Tamiflu. I didn't know that it was a drug to be taken twice a day for 5 days...for some reason I thought it was just one dose. I also didn't know it was not approved for use of children under the age of 12. I also didn't know it is a drug to treat the BIRD FLU....NOT H1N1. I also didn't know it had some pretty bad side effects (digestive problems, aggression, insomnia). So, even though I had major trepidation about taking the drug and administering it to Lauren, I did anyway....hoping it would keep us safe....cure the flu....keep us out of the hospital....keep us alive.


So, Lauren and I started taking the Tamiflu, while Scott, Isaac, and Eric fought the flu....."on their own".


About a month before getting sick our nutritional counselor and naturapathic doctor (in training) asked me if I was worried about the H1N1. I told her, "No, not at all." She also asked me if I was scared of it in any way...I also told her, "No." Being a person who tries not to live her life in fear, but instead puts her trust in God, I try not to be in fear of anything....let alone a flu. I have also never liked to watch the news for that same reason.....because I have always thought it is "fear based". Including what the media has done with the H1N1....promote and provoke fear about the flu!! Yes, it can been a good source of information, but in my opinion, it has provoked fear and panic more than anything else.

After 2 doses of the drug, Lauren started experiencing some side effects (restlessness, aggression, and fussiness). Because I was hesitant to start the drug in the first place, I decided to discontinue the drug for Lauren and myself. And if I had to do it all over again...I would have NEVER taken the drug to begin with!! When I did stop the Tamiflu, neither of us had a fever and both our coughs had lessened. Lauren was completely back to herself by the end of the day. I had a slight fever the day I stopped taking the drug, but was feeling much better and continued too each day. I still have a slight cough, but nothing major.

After 2 days of the mildest symptoms of our family, Isaac was back to his active, healthy, happy self! WOW!! God is so great! What a testimony to how healthy Isaac is and the healing that has taken place in his body through naturopathic treatment.

Eric and Scott had the strongest symptoms and were sick the longest. Eric even had a fever off and on for 5 days. Now I'm not trying to point fingers, but they don't eat nearly as many vegetables as Isaac and I, Scott does not take vitamins on a regular basis, and I have not been giving Eric as many vitamins, herbs, and supplements as Isaac....but that has changed.

So, what I have learned from the experience is....

1. Don't be afraid of H1N1...it is just the flu. It will pass. Just take care of yourself and get the rest your body needs to fight the virus. It was no joke and we all felt pretty bad, but we are fine now.

2. Do some research. Before rushing out to get the H1N1 vaccine OR the Tamiflu, make sure you know what is in the drug and why you "need" it.

3. After praying and seeking for God's peace, make a decision about what you plan to do if you get the Swine Flu BEFORE you get sick. As I found out the hard way, I had not made a decision about what I would/should do for myself (asthma and bronchitis) and Lauren (9 months) and Isaac (in remission from Crohn's disease) BEFORE it attacked our family. When you are sick with anything, let alone the Swine Flu, you are in no position to make a sound decision about what your plan is or should be.

4. Stick to your plan and don't give into fear. Instead trust that you are doing the right thing...even if other's may think or tell you that you are not.

5. The best medicine is prevention. SO, eating right, exercise, vitamins, herbs, and essential oils should be a part of your daily routine.

6. We are so thankful and in awe at God's healing power that is so evident in Isaac's life!! He is walking proof of God's natural medicine that Megan has opened our eyes too!

Please check out my friend's blog www.megansmind-holisticwellness.blogspot.com for more information about the H1N1 and many naturopathic treatments for the flu and colds.

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing post Melanie! I think you provided great insight and advice and I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ReplyDelete